- “The Ends of Ideology” (Dissent 1998) – Review of Left and Right: The Significance of a Political Distinction, by Norberto Bobbio. University of Chicago Press, 1996.
- “Human Rights as Politics and Idolatry” by Michael Ignatieff, reviewed in Human Rights Watch Council Reports, Sept. 2002.
- “The Righteous Mind” by Jonathan Haidt, reviewed in Dissent, Fall 2012
Jeff Scheuer has written more than seventy-five book reviews for daily newspapers including The New York Times Book Review (briefs), Los Angeles Times, Baltimore Sun, Chicago Tribune, Kansas City Times, Houston Chronicle, Atlanta Constitution, Cleveland Plain Dealer, Newsday, Quincy Patriot-Ledger, The Christian Science Monitor, and also for Dissent and The New England Review.
- Global Political Warming – Philadelphia Inquirer (March 1990) & the Atlanta Constitution (March 1990).
- “The Ghost in the Modem” (with R. Sclove) The Washington Post, May 29, 1994 – Reprinted in R. Kling, ed., Computerized & Controversy.
Also: Chicago Tribune, Los Angeles Times, Atlanta Constitution, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Baltimore Sun, Cleveland Plain Dealer, Houston Post, Dallas Morning News, Miami Herald, Newsday, Oregonian, Minneapolis Tribune, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, et al. Reprint: The Congressional Record.
Finding the real identity beneath the apparent contradiction and differentiation, and finding the substantial diversity beneath the apparent identity, is the most delicate, misunderstood and yet essentail endowment of the critic of ideas and the historian. - Antonio Gramsci