- Adjunct professor, Dept. of Media, Culture and Communication, New York University, Spring 2003. Course titled “Media and Political Ideology.”
- Sense-making Fellow, 2009 and 2010, The Poynter Institute, St. Petersburg, Florida.
- “The Sound Bite Society” Dept. of Communication Science, Freie Universitat, Berlin, and John F. Kennedy School, Freie Universitat in Berlin (1999)
- “The Ecology of Media Excellence” Media Ecology Conference sponsored by New York University’s Dept. of Media, Culture and Communication, 2002.
- Presented paper on “Journalistic Excellence and Democracy,” 6th International Conference on Communication and Mass Media, Athens Institute for Education and Research, Athens, May 2008.
- “Journalism and New Media,” International Center for Ethics, Justice, and Public Life, Brandeis University: Sept. 10, 2009.
- Series Editor on “Democracy and the News,” Praeger (2005 – 2009).
- Halleck, Steven M., Editorial and Opinion. Praeger, 2007.
- Willis, Jim., The Media Effect. Praeger, 2007.
- Finnegan, Lisa, No Questions Asked: News Coverage Since 9/11. Praeger, 2007.
- Hayes, Arthur, Press Critics Are the Fifth Estate: Media Watchdogs in America. Praeger, 2008.
Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.